Posted Aug 07, 2024 | Views 61
# Digital Marketing
# Direct Mail
# Education
# Omnichannel Marketing
# Packaging
# Sales and Marketing
SUMMARY

Morgan DiGiorgio, SVP Sales & Marketing at DirectMail2.0, was one of the featured experts at BoxMaker University's Summer Camp event. She gave a presentation titled, "Elevate Print Marketing with Omnichannel Strategy: Technologies that Connect Printers to Revenue and Customers to Results."

+ Read More
TRANSCRIPT

hello everyone and welcome to BoxMaker University we're so glad to have you join us today our class today is titled

0:07

Elevate print marketing with Omni channel strategy technologies that connect printers to revenue and

0:13

customers to results we're excited to share with you ways to revolutionize your print marketing and unlock powerful

0:19

Revenue driving Technologies in this webinar presented by Direct Mail 2.0 Direct Mail 2.0 specializes in

0:26

direct mail digital integration and the utilization of Technology that increase Direct Mail response rates and drive Roi

0:33

on marketing spend our speaker today is Morgan DiGiorgio senior vice president

0:38

sales and marketing for Direct Mail 2.0 Morgan's professional background spans a range of Industries and positions she

0:45

has held roles in business development operations marketing and sales including co-founder of a medical-based technology

0:52

company Morgan has presented as a speaker at numerous events and conferences holds a Bachelor of Science

0:58

in Business Administration and management from University of Florida and is a subject matter expert for

1:03

Marketing Solutions that drive results Morgan thank you so much for being here with us today it's my pleasure I'm

1:09

really happy to be here for those of you who are joining us and might not be familiar with the box maker we were

1:14

founded in 1981 as a custom packaging manufacturer and distributor with our

1:20

manufacturing headquarters here in Seattle Washington and a second all digital production facility in LOL

1:25

Arkansas we serve clients across North America through our three divisions enter Enterprise sales Trade Services

1:31

and our online web to print platform fantasti Pac at the boxmaker we're passionate about being a resource for

1:37

you when it comes to All Things packaging protecting and promoting your products if you have any questions after

1:43

watching this OnDemand webinar please do not hesitate to reach out to our team of packaging advisers by visiting us online

1:49

at boxmaker tocom and without further Ado Morgan I will hand it off to you

1:55

thank you so much Katie I'm really excited today to talk about a strategy that is extremely effective for the

2:02

direct mail marketing channel and what we're going to talk about today is Omni Channel marketing and how we can utilize

2:09

technology to track and show the effecacy of direct mail so I'll start off just talking about Direct Mail as a

2:16

marketing channel because it is an extremely powerful Channel with an advertising industry of around 58.5

2:23

billion dollar now in the United States it's about a$ 10.9 billion dollar industry but it's projected to almost

2:29

double by the end of this year 2024 closing out at around a 2038 billion industry now nearly 72% of

2:38

businesses use direct mail to generate sales and over 91% of promo mail is r

2:44

and opened now Direct Mail is such a powerful channel it's not like when I go out I I open my email in the morning and

2:50

I have a hundred different spam emails I don't open those I just hit delete they don't capture my attention I never see

2:56

the marketing message that's on any of those emails however when I go out to to my mailbox and I grab my mail whether or

3:02

not I make the decision to discard that mail piece I still receive the the marketing impression that was on that

3:08

mail piece even if I choose to discard it it's powerful it impinges Direct Mail takes about 21% less cognitive effort to

3:15

process than digital marketing it activates the long-term memory centers in the brain so when that message is

3:21

repeated and Pines and it's such a powerful channel to inject into your overall marketing strategy if you're not

3:28

utilizing or harnessing the power of male you absolutely should be it's also an effective channel for all

3:34

demographics whether we're talking about a younger demographic or all the way up to a very age demographic so extremely

3:42

powerful marketing channel but with any channel there are some challenges so I just want to talk a little bit about the

3:47

challenges of direct marketing as a whole from a couple of different perspectives one is from the marketer's

3:53

perspective so marketers that are utilizing mail for marketing purposes we have experienced quite a lot of

3:59

struggles or challenges uh within the industry as a result of supply chain issues paper shortages we've been

4:06

experiencing postage in increases a couple of times a year so as a marketer

4:13

that's utilizing mail we've been experiencing uh exponential increases in our advertising cost but we're getting

4:19

the same results right we're utilizing that same channel and and honestly not just a direct mail marketing channel but

4:26

spend in and advertising cost is going up for all channels across the board and we appear to be getting less or the same

4:32

results for an increase in that spend and marketers want more than that they want better results they want higher

4:38

response rates they want more leads they want to find ways to save money on marketing they also because they're more

4:44

cost conscious want to find ways that they can actually track the response to the direct mail they want to know is

4:50

this channel working am I investing in the right channel am I actually seeing a response from that so they need to find

4:56

ways that they can track and show attribution to these channels additionally they want streamline

5:02

solutions that are cost effective and easy to deploy right because internally

5:07

they're also struggling with internal resources and the deployment of these marketing campaigns now from a print

5:13

provider's perspective you know what we want to do is we want to tap into a larger portion of that $ 59 billion

5:21

industry we want to get a larger portion of that Revenue we don't want to lose customers to other print providers

5:26

because unfortunately we do find ourselves in a cost Bas environment where a customer is so hyperfocused on

5:33

cost that they we might lose business to ABC printer down the street because they're willing to do it for less money

5:38

and that is a really bad place to be so we need to take an approach or put ourselves in a position where we're

5:45

adding value or we're differentiating ourselves from our competitors if we can add enough value a customer is not going

5:51

to leave and go to a competitor because they're printing It For Less right if we can find ways or programs that we can

5:57

lift the response rate on our customers Direct Mail campaign s equip them with technology where they can track show

6:02

attribution know that the direct mail is actually working they will continue to invest in this Channel and they will

6:08

continue to invest in you because you will be adding so much value it will make that relationship so sticky they

6:14

won't be looking for you know a penny less somewhere else it will help you to overcome those price

6:20

challenges so you have to stand out right if you're a printer or you're a maale service provider you have to find

6:28

a unique selling proposition or way that you were standing out and the most appropriate way to do that is in the

6:33

form of a value added component now if you're a marketer you absolutely have to stand out on average consumers are

6:40

seeing anywhere from around 4 to 10,000 marketing messages a day and I'm talking about Direct Mail digital email

6:46

Billboards logos on t-shirts vehicle wraps they're inundated

6:51

with marketing messages and the advertising ecosystem has become more

6:57

and more saturated as time goes along um there's so many additional channels

7:02

that have been injected into the marketing ecosystem and so more than ever we have to find ways to get our

7:09

marketing message to stand out and impinge with our prospects so one of the

7:15

most effective ways to do that is with an omni Channel marketing campaign and not just any type of an omni Channel

7:22

marketing campaign I'm talking about taking advantage of The Best of Both Worlds utilizing a more marketing

7:29

strategy that is harnessing the power of offline on and online but in the most

7:34

effective way possible so we take what we know about direct mail right we know that it has a a very high memory recall

7:43

it impinges we take and start our our marketing campaigns with direct mail and

7:48

then from there we utilize digital to reinforce or repeat that message and

7:53

utilize multiple channels to engage our prospects now prospects are looking for

7:59

an omni Channel marketing type of experience right they like to start the

8:04

buying journey in certain channels they like to do their research in others and they like to convert in others not to

8:10

mention the fact that don't forget that they're inundated with so many ads you have to get in front of them multiple

8:15

times if you're going to not only capture their attention but keep it and maintain it until you actually drive a

8:22

conversion so if you utilize an omni Channel marketing strategy that's harnessing the power of mail and then

8:29

reinforce that messaging with digital and then utilize technology to track and show who's responding and then reinforce

8:36

and close the conversion with mail you have one of the most powerful Omni Channel marketing approaches that is

8:42

driving a high high conversion and R at row as on your marketing spend now here

8:49

at Direct Mail 2.0 our sole purpose is to make Direct Mail the most effective

8:54

form of marketing by integrating it with Cutting Edge technology and we specialize in in Omni Channel marketing

9:00

campaigns but what I want to do today is is more just provide some education on

9:05

how you can utilize different channels to put together an omni Channel marketing campaign that will drive a

9:10

high conversion for your marketing spend and there's a lot of different ways to do that so if you're sitting there

9:16

thinking gosh you know what really is Omni Channel I know I've explained it but let me give you a little bit of mass

9:22

so as you can see here Geo is very good at Omni Channel marketing you can see we

9:27

have the offline letter here direct mail piece uh we have billboard digital ads

9:33

we've got the gecko the Geico and the 15 minutes could save you 15% or more and it's translated across all of these

9:40

channels right if you see that Geico it in that Geo it impinges even if you

9:47

didn't have Geico insurance and you heard 15 minutes could save you 15% or more you would know that is Geico

9:53

because they do a very good job at Omni Channel marketing now you might say to me well yes I mean Geico is you know a

10:01

billion- dollar company and they spend a ton of money on marketing which is absolutely correct but most companies do

10:08

not have the demographic of Geico right but with the appropriate marketing strategy you could be the Geico of your

10:15

demographic so very very powerful strategy here now from a print

10:20

provider's perspective this is a way for you to add value for your customers instead of just putting ink on paper you

10:27

can really differentiate yourself from your competitors by offering some type of an omni Channel marketing solution

10:33

you have opportunities here where you can actually go out and acquire new mail

10:39

business not on a cost-based perspective from a value added component when you're

10:45

talking to a marketer and they're utilizing direct mail for marketing they already believe in the power of mail now

10:50

what you would like to do is come in and offer more value help lift the response of their direct mail campaigns by

10:56

providing them with an omni channnel marketing approach that's holistic that's comprised of mail that's

11:01

integrated with digital that adds Technologies on that can help them track and show attribution um and I highly

11:08

recommend that you find some way to report all of that data it maybe into a

11:13

dashboard do you have a customer portal where they can log in and potentially see tracking on their mail integrate the

11:20

results of these Omni Channel campaigns and some sort of reporting dashboard um we do have a a white label reporting

11:26

dashboard here we report all the all the results if you are a mail provider um that you can extend that to your your

11:32

direct mail clients or your direct mail clients can log in and see the results in real time but giving them access to

11:38

data is so integral they can continuously use this data to keep improving their direct mail campaigns

11:45

going on and on right I mean unfortunately as much as I hate to say it every marketing campaign that you

11:51

deploy is a test in some form or shape okay um you know there's just so many

11:56

different variables even the time that you're dropping it if you could be using the same list creative offer call to

12:02

action there could be environmental factors all kinds of different things going on that would potentially affect

12:07

the efficacy of that Direct Mail campaign so when you have the ability to appropriately track it and and gain

12:14

insight into why a campaign is performing really well or maybe why it didn't perform as well as previous

12:20

campaigns you can use that data to alter amend modify and continuously improve

12:25

the outcomes um not to mention if you have an OM Channel solution and

12:31

customers are so costc conscious currently at this time there are ways that you might be able to offer them a

12:36

hybrid type of marketing solution for say the next six months to a year maybe

12:42

they're used to doing a very large drop of mail in a weekly or a monthly basis now they're telling you that because of

12:48

postage maybe they only want to mail once quarterly well if you have an omni Channel solution you have an opportunity

12:54

there where in these downtimes where maybe they're not mailing as much you

12:59

can offer to extend an omni channel uh marketing campaign on their list instead

13:05

of the mail so now you have an opportunity to capture some Revenue where maybe you were losing or didn't

13:10

have an opportunity to capture any so what it does is it just opens a lot more

13:15

opportunities not only for you to add value capture Revenue but also for your

13:20

customers right you're offering them solutions that coincide with their current budget restrictions but also are

13:27

still driving and delivering results for that um now this is very important too I

13:32

mean I I think that sometimes print or mail service providers aren't aware that

13:38

customers are so aware of how effective Omni Channel marketing campaigns are and according to Napa research they've done

13:44

a lot of study on on what what's next for mail or what customers are looking

13:49

for what would drive them to invest more indirect mail and in particular on the

13:57

very top 42% % of companies would be convinced to use more print if they had

14:03

access to Unique print programs that actually tie print two digital channels

14:09

so they're aware of the power of these Omni Channel campaigns but maybe they just don't have access to them

14:15

internally it's difficult and challenging for them to deploy um you know if you think about even a very

14:22

large National retailer absolutely you know internally they have digital marketing teams but they're are running

14:29

silos they have one department for email one for direct mail one for digital getting them all to communicate together

14:35

and get all of their different budgets from all those different departments approved so that they can deploy a

14:41

message that looks just like the direct mail campaign to go out that that is like moving a mountain sometimes so as a

14:48

print provider if you have a streamlined Omni Channel marketing solution that you can just turn a key and deploy and layer

14:54

that on top of a mail campaign for them you're providing a solution for them they can't necessarily uh get done

15:00

internally right and they're looking for programs like this a small mailer doesn't have access to those type of

15:06

programs either so you really have an opportunity here to add value and provide them with something that they're

15:11

actually looking for napco research also shows that marketers who use four to six

15:16

channels in their multi-channel campaigns are getting the best response rates so you need to be utilizing

15:23

multiple channels to drive a high response on your marketing on your marketing spend I think that

15:29

historically there's been a proverbial tug OFW between offline and online you know where am I going to invest my

15:35

marketing budget should I put it in direct mail or should I put it in digital and the truth of the matter is is that you really should not be having

15:42

a marketing campaign that is not utilizing both um you really should have

15:48

something that is harnessing the power of both and playing well together in the sandbox because that is where you're

15:53

going to get the best response rates so Omni Channel marketing has some extremely powerful statistics

16:00

coordinating digital and Direct Mail campaigns can increase website visits by up to 68% right because you're hitting them

16:07

multiple times also integrating digital elements with Direct Mail can lead to a

16:13

53% increase in generated leads and there's a lot of reasons for this and we'll talk about it in a minute and it

16:20

it it all centers around the way that people respond to marketing so all marketing is driving people to a website

16:27

but they're not converting right away right over 97% of organizations using

16:32

Direct Mail campaigns with digital report better campaign performance than

16:37

just a standalone effort purchase frequency is

16:43

250% higher on Omni Channel vers single Channel and the average order value is

16:49

133% more per order on Omni channel for single channel 73% of retail consumers

16:57

are Omni Channel shoppers they're utilizing multiple channels for their shopping needs and I was talking about

17:03

that a little bit earlier they like to start the journey through some channels do research through others and convert

17:09

and buy through others not to mention that when you integrate digital elements it allows you to track that user

17:14

Behavior you can track website visitors and and you can show a more measurable return on investment which is very

17:20

important especially for an offline Channel like direct mail that historically has been very challenging

17:25

to track so if I'm a print provider need to find ways that I can track and show

17:30

the response to direct mail so that I can prove to my customers that it's working so that they continue to make

17:36

that investment with me so how do people respond to marketing

17:41

they go online which is fantastic are marketing is working right it's driving that initial web traffic but if they

17:48

don't buy anything if they don't fill out a form if they don't reach into me in some way how do I know that that that

17:55

marketing is working now with digital I can have Google Analytics on my website and I can see how many hits I'm getting

18:00

to my site from a social media campaign or a Google campaign and you know my digital marketing strategy looks

18:06

phenomenal it's just working oh my gosh I can see how much traction I'm getting to my website but when someone's standing in their living room and they

18:13

receive a direct mail piece and that same person is driven online via the offline Channel we do not know that

18:20

right and the thing is is that it's working and they're being driven to the website but about 96% of people leave

18:28

before converting they don't buy only about 4% of people convert right away and there's a lot of

18:33

reasons for that right and it depends on what the cycle is if it's a really you know um big decision maybe like a home

18:41

renovation someone's not going to just automatically get out their checkbook or pick up the phone and make a decision to

18:48

just invest $100,000 in a company I mean if I want to renovate something in my home like my kitchen I'm going to leave

18:55

that website after I run my due diligence and probably going to get talk to go to another five contractors's

19:02

websites run some research on them get some quotes have them come out to my house um you know maybe it's going to

19:09

take me six months to wear my husband down to get him to invest that money because maybe he wants to use it to buy

19:14

a boat I mean there's a lot of reasons why somebody maybe wouldn't convert right away and so it's so important that

19:22

we reinforce the messaging that drove them to the website in the first place the direct mail worked it they developed

19:29

an interest they went to the website they left now let's utilize digital to

19:34

reinforce that message get back in front of them in as many instances as we can

19:40

and to sway them away from the competitors that they went and investigated as well so we know that repetition is what

19:49

works in marketing okay it does not matter what channel you're utilizing you have to employ the power of repetition

19:56

and we have run thousands of camp pain St a platform and the statistical data shows that on average about 80% of sales

20:04

and nonprofit uh the donation and political the vote is occurring between the 8th and the 12th touch we have to

20:11

get our prospects up into these contact margins where conversion is taking place and that's just not going to occur with

20:17

a oneandone mail drop and the easiest and and most coste effective way to accomplish this is through the

20:24

utilization of an omni Channel marketing campaign um there's a lot of data out

20:29

there too um I don't know you can look into the marketing rule of sevens you know hit your prospects at least seven

20:36

times um now now that we have so many different um advertising Platforms in

20:43

the marketing ecosystem and and it is so saturated you have to bump those touches

20:48

up just a little bit more you know so we have so much opportunity too

20:57

right we have so so many different channels that we have an opportunity to reach our prospects through so we don't

21:04

want to just put all of our eggs in one basket or limit ourselves and really harness and take advantage of the

21:09

channels that we have at our fingertips especially the ones that coincide with the audiences that we're marketing too

21:15

right we know certain demographics spend a little bit more time on certain channels than others so really take

21:21

advantage of these opportunities that you have not to mention the statistical data out there that shows that eight is

21:30

the number of channels that Global customers leverage to engage with companies right so they are expecting

21:37

this Omni Channel experience they're not just engaging through one channel so if you're limiting yourself you're really

21:42

limiting your ability to drive a conversion on your marketing spend so from a marketer's perspective why I

21:49

would want to use an omni Channel marketing approach is because I need to get that

21:55

repetition I need to get those 8 to 16 Impressions and I need to do it in the

22:01

most costeffective way possible right and I need those technologies that give me the ability to track and show that my

22:08

marketing spend is working not to mention that some technologies that we

22:13

can integrate into our Direct Mail campaigns also qualify for postage discounts so if I'm more cost conscious

22:21

and I'm being you know hammered with these postage increases twice a year if

22:26

I can get a lift in respon on my direct mail by integrating Omni Channel and also take advantage of some postal

22:34

incentives it's a win-win right so these are 14 technologies that we offer um at

22:42

our organization and you know these are technologies that you could Deploy on

22:48

top of a direct mail campaign for your customers so I want to talk a little bit about these Technologies the use case

22:54

for them and how they can add value to direct mail campaigns first thing you can do is you can take a mailing list

23:01

you can upload that into Facebook and Instagram you can actually find the Facebook and Instagram accounts of the

23:07

people on the mailing list and you can serve up ads to them that look just like

23:12

the direct mail piece that they are going to receive now this is important and in the use case for it can be used

23:18

in a couple of different manners one you can use it to start to warm them up to the dark mail piece that they're about

23:24

to receive also after they receive that mail piece and they get that marketing

23:30

message you can reinforce the messaging on the mail they received now in my

23:35

personal experience that reinforcement is so valuable I've received a mail piece and I've honestly I've got this

23:42

pile on my counter oh I'm interested in all these things right I put it in my counter but I forget about them or for

23:49

example um I contribute to a lot of nonprofits at the end of the year like my alumni and several different others

23:56

but it's just not top of mind right I have it in this pile it's a very busy time of year for me I've got 100 people

24:03

coming over for Thanksgiving I'm trying to get ready for Christmas and whatever my Christmas break plans are the kids

24:09

are home they're out of school I mean there's a lot going on right and making that donation to the nonprofit

24:15

unfortunately just isn't the top of mind or first thing that I'm thinking about now I want to convert but I just

24:21

forget right so let's say I get that mail piece I set it on my counter or

24:27

let's say that I discard it into entirely well maybe later in the evening I want to do something mindless because

24:33

you know I've been working all day and I'm scrolling my phone I'm looking through my social media and a digital message pops up that reinforces that

24:39

direct mail piece with that marketing message that already imp pinched and I say that's right you know what I've got

24:45

a minute right now let me go get my debit card or my checkbook or whatever it is and let me take care of that and

24:51

that is one use case way that we can use digital to reinforce and drive a conversion on the mail that was re

24:58

received mail tracking we can integrate via USPS in form visibility and we can provide mail

25:06

tracking to give our customers peace of mind that what they're paying for is being delivered you can show them when

25:12

certain quantities of mail are projected to be delivered so they can more appropriately plan for calls or leads

25:18

that might be flowing into their organization um you can equip them with data that shows them very granularly

25:24

each individual mail recipient and the date it was delivered so let's say that

25:29

your customer has a sales team I want to know when that mail piece has been delivered like let's say for example I'm

25:36

an insurance or I work at a car dealership I can see that mail piece was delivered now is my opportunity to pick

25:42

up the phone call them follow up with them ask them if they receive the offer and how I can help them take advantage

25:48

of it so there's tons of data in mail tracking that we can harness and utilize

25:53

just to get peace of mind direct mails a significant investment or we can use it in our sales cycle to help Drive

26:00

conversions additionally QR codes are such a valuable tool you know people

26:05

scan a QR code where do they go to a website right once someone gets on a

26:10

website we can use cookies and pixels to capture those people put them in a funnel start showing them digital ads

26:17

and help to drive those conversions on top of that we have an opportunity to show tracking right so I can show the

26:25

number of times the QR code was scanned showing track in my offline direct mail piece or I can utilize a personalized QR

26:32

code and I can actually see who scan that QR code also with the emerging

26:38

advanced technology discount I have an opportunity to take advantage of 3%

26:44

postage discounts with a QR code as well um informed delivery this is one of one

26:50

of the best things that USPS has ever done this is the true definition of omni

26:55

Channel every morning I email that shows me scanned images of all the mail that's

27:02

going to be in my mailbox now with informed delivery you can also put a

27:07

full color Ride Along image right underneath that mail piece it can be clicked on and take someone right over

27:13

to your website where they can convert or again be put into a funnel to be hit

27:18

with digital ads to get back in front of them until they do convert now let me just talk a little bit about this

27:24

channel okay this is an email Channel and the open rates on it are

27:30

astronomical in fact the open rate hovers around 67% now if anybody on this uh you know

27:37

educational webinar today is utilizing email marketing then you know that that

27:42

is an unbelievable open rate if you had a house list and you're running email you might be lucky to get even an 18%

27:49

open rate and that's to a house list people that are expecting your email they're waiting for that coupon code to

27:54

buy that product or service that they utilize from you so just such a great way to get yet another impression in

28:01

front of them before the mail's been delivered or they just keep it in their email when they're ready to take

28:07

advantage of it additionally there's a 4% postage discount that runs throughout

28:12

the end of the year that your customers can take advantage of as well um oh and

28:18

there is an attribution report for informed delivery that you

28:23

can export and you can show them who on their mailing list actually got the informed delivery email opened it and

28:30

clicked on the ad so showing them that attribution to this Channel and their direct mail campaign Now call and text

28:38

tracking is also a very effective technology for showing attribution a call tracking number can be utilized uh

28:46

on the mail piece when it rings it goes over to a line of your customers choosing that could be a call center you

28:52

could utilize multiple call tracking numbers on cell phones um and you can track and show how many calls actually

28:58

came in showing that the mail is working now there's a hole here let's say that

29:04

they get the mail piece they go to the website there's a different number on the website they might call that number

29:09

you are not going to show 100% attribution with a call tracking number but you have an opportunity to show

29:15

attribution and you can show that calls were coming in and you can show that the mail was working and in addition to that

29:22

you can also show their phone number who they are their address we can pend email

29:29

and show email of this person and perfect your data so now you've required a phone number and an email that you

29:35

didn't have before this is giving your organization additional opportunities and ways that you can Market to them and

29:41

phone numbers for your sales team to call after you run that through the Do Not Call Registry you don't want to get

29:46

any fines of course right uh and also we record the call so you can run QC on how

29:52

these calls or leads are being managed now you can use that same call tracking

29:57

number number to have a call to action on the mail piece that might say text

30:03

offer for you to this number to receive something in return now that could be a

30:08

coupon code that could be a link to enroll in email marketing so you get

30:13

your opin or a link that drives them to a special offer page and you can also

30:19

capture the data about the person that responded via inbound SMS and you can

30:25

see how many responses came in showing and tracking the attribution to the mail

30:30

as well now I talked a lot about following up with a prospect once they hit your

30:37

website right because we know that 96% of them leave once they get there right

30:43

so there are a couple of different ways that we can follow up with them get back in front of them and remind them of

30:49

their interest to help drive a conversion now one way that you can do this is with displaying ads throughout

30:54

the Google ad space and I'm sure that everybody has experienced it you look at something online you leave

31:01

next thing you know you're seeing pictures of this ad all over the Internet that is Google retargeting

31:08

follow up with them online get back in front of them and remind them of their interest also follow up with them

31:15

through social when they're scrolling those news feeds display ads to them reminding them about that interest that

31:22

they had um you can also display ads to these prospects through other other channels

31:29

like YouTube Discovery ads now Discovery ads um we actually rolled over into

31:35

something called demand gen and that is a three for one so I just want to show you something

31:43

here um and the three ad placements are the YouTube

31:50

homepage Gmail so of course that's an email that shows up in in their Gmail

31:56

account and then also the uh Google Toolbar okay now the

32:02

Google Toolbar is on your mobile device if you're on your mobile device you have the ads that appear

32:09

right below there okay now let's think about this for a second Google is the first most visited site on the web I'm

32:16

on Google a 100 times a day YouTube is the second most visited website on the

32:21

web okay people are on there searching for things how to change my refrigerator filter I I watch exercise videos on

32:28

there my my husband looks at how to you know make repairs on vehicles and things

32:34

so really powerful platforms to have ad space and reinforce Direct Mail

32:40

marketing Additionally you can utilize the power of video through YouTube you can use the power of video through the

32:48

social channels which is a very powerful tool above and beyond just a still ad it

32:54

will drive a higher response geot targeting is a great element to incorporate as well let's think about a

33:01

location that is opening a new store in addition to sending mail out to them in

33:08

addition to being able to serve up ads to the people on the mailing list in these geographical locations you can

33:15

cast a much wider net digitally and you can get in front of other relevant leads in the same geographical locations as

33:23

the people that you're mailing to so you can add a lot more value for your customer Market reinforce a direct mail but also

33:30

serve a bads to additional relevant leads who are then going to go to the website and we're going to capture with

33:36

a smart pixel technology to build a mailing list and mail to them and I'll talk about that in a

33:42

minute another technology is addressable geofencing so you can take a mailing

33:49

list you can get a 90% or higher match rate on this list you can identify every

33:57

single device device that is known to be within an address that you are mailing

34:02

to and you can serve up ads to every single one of those devices okay this is

34:07

not IP based targeting over 54 billion different data points are being analyzed and digested on a daily basis to truly

34:14

acknowledge and identify every single device within a household so you're sending out a mail piece you can serve

34:19

up ads to every device wherein let's say you're a uh Financial Services you're

34:26

you're running a financial sem semar and you're sending out a mail piece with one of those juicy steaks you want them to

34:31

come over uh you know to to the steakhouse and and have a stake on you

34:36

and learn about how they want to invest your money for your retirement and Jim Smith gets the mail piece and he tosses

34:43

it in the garbage but Betty Smith is at home on the couch and she starts seeing ads on her phone for that stake and says

34:49

Jim I'd really like to go over here and learn more about how we can invest for retirement and eat this juicy steak

34:55

right so you can bypass gate Keepers or maybe Jim tosses the mail piece and sees

35:01

the ads later and changes his mind but these are ways that we can reinforce our Direct Mail marketing now the tracking

35:08

on this technology is amazing you can show online conversions at the zip plus

35:13

4 level someone that gets the mail piece and sees the ads and goes online we can show a number of conversions

35:19

Additionally you can run offline conversions so if they're if you are

35:25

running campaigns for a retail location or maybe a Jiffy Lube or someone's going in to get an oil change when they walk

35:31

into the conversion Zone it will ping their device and show an offline

35:38

conversion someone that got the mail and received the ads converted they walked

35:44

into that location really remarkable technology

35:49

now email by itself as a cold Prospect tool not very effective okay but email

35:57

with mail is a very effective strategy because the mail is driving that initial

36:03

marketing message and Pines and you can reinforce it with email so I highly

36:09

recommend using email with mail you will be able to capture and deliver that Omni

36:16

Channel experience and drive some more traction there okay now let's talk about

36:23

tracking there are smart pixels that can go on a website that will de anonymize a website visitor

36:31

and it will give 95% accurate contact information about that website visitor okay why do I want this well there are

36:39

no better people to Market to than people that are actively on the website

36:44

they are literally raising their hand and telling you I am interested in this product or service I'm on this website

36:51

and and actually this in particular is what I'm interested in because I'm on this page or that page so you can get

36:58

95% accurate contact information you can know in particular where on the website they were located

37:04

and what they looked at and you can build yourself a mailing list that will drive on average around a 9 to an 18%

37:13

response rate so really really viable mailing list people are more costc

37:18

conscious this gives them a very targeted list of people that are very likely to respond and you can incorporate

37:25

personalization okay because we know who they are we can append their name you

37:30

can append additional data and you can mark it to them about what they were looking at okay so let's say that I'm a

37:36

higher education uh I'm I'm an institution a higher education facility okay someone

37:43

goes to my website and I have 150 different undergraduate programs well I know in particular that Morgan went to

37:49

my website and she looked at my nursing program now I'm going to send her a direct mail piece with uh an offer

37:56

talking about my nursing program and why she should enroll in our educational institution as opposed to probably the

38:03

20 others that she's looking at um additionally after building a mailing

38:09

list you can use this technology to suppress against the mail file to show how many people on the mailing list went

38:15

to the site so remember earlier when I was talking about how when someone's standing in their living room they get a

38:22

mail piece and they go online you don't know that well you do when you use

38:28

technology like this to De anonymize a website visitor and suppress it against the mail file now you know the mail

38:35

worked whether they convert fill out a form or do nothing you know they went to the website that the mail is working but

38:42

more importantly you know who right so I can suppress that against the people

38:48

that actually bought the people that didn't now I can send them another mail

38:53

piece now let's just think this is called Direct Mail retargeting okay okay and and this qualifies for 5% postage

39:00

discounts let me give you a real life scenario real quick okay I'm online uh I

39:05

may or may not have a tiny tiny tiny little shopping addiction but anyway I'm online and I'm scrolling and I see you

39:11

know another pair of shoes that I probably don't need I go to the website you know I put five shoes in my C and

39:17

I'm like oh my gosh I don't need these shoes okay I go to abandoned cart a little box pops up and says wait do not

39:25

leave 10% off if you buy now and I think oh my gosh 10% isn't that great and and

39:31

I abandoned card well two days later I get a postcard in the mail with a picture of that shoe and it's offering

39:37

me 20% off and free shipping so I come back I check out and I probably buy two

39:44

and that is the way that Direct Mail retargeting Works using this technology

39:50

re-engaging and reinforcing with mail now if you're running only digital marketing and all of these people are

39:57

being driven to your website you don't know who they are but if you use

40:02

technology like this you can identify them and if they're not converting you can send a mail piece and drive the

40:08

conversion with mail so see you shouldn't be using one without the other

40:14

they work together in the most effective way possible now as far as attribution

40:19

is concerned this was a campaign that we ran it was a smaller one it was just under 5,000 pieces they had 17 calls

40:27

it's not blowing me away you know I'm not I'm not necessarily convinced that Direct Mail was a phenomenal investment

40:35

for me based on 17 calls I don't know maybe maybe if each customer is you know

40:41

$200,000 or something like this but most instances I'm not blown away here right but because this campaign used a smart

40:48

pixel they could see that 932 people on the mailing list went to

40:54

the website that's an almost 19% response rate to the mail now I believe

41:01

in the power of mail utilizing a dashboard right use a

41:08

dashboard or some kind of reporting to not only track all your customers campaigns but also to give your

41:15

customers access to all this data Don't just run these campaigns for them you know show them the data because there's

41:21

so much you can give them like if you're running one of those uh social media enhancements you can drill down into the

41:27

demographic data you can see they they uh are they male are they female age

41:33

groups maybe you have a creative let's say you're a like a resort and your creative is um a bunch of gentlemen on a

41:40

golf course and you're like gosh I really didn't get a very good response here and you drill down into this data

41:46

and you see that the majority of the audience you reached was female H now I know what happened my creative was wrong

41:52

so I manipulate my creative to some ladies in a spa you know getting manicures or massage and now I have the

41:59

ability to use the data knowing who I'm actually reaching so that I can lift and increase the response to my direct mail

42:05

campaign the direct mail will work there's just something that I had to change about it right and that's how you

42:12

can use this data um this is a case study for a higher education uh

42:17

institution that we ran they used that lead match pixel they identified the website traffic they sent them Direct

42:24

Mail pieces based on the undergraduate programs that they were looking at and they got a 25% response rate to the mail

42:31

campaign they had a 53% increase in total deposits 26% increase in students

42:37

admitted deposits it was a phenomenal campaign they used Omni Channel and they

42:42

used that lead match pixel this was a nonprofit and they added Omni Channel

42:48

marketing onto their direct mail campaigns they increased giving by 25% they also generated 6,000 780

42:58

firsttime donors they put that smart pixel on the ways to give and how to get

43:03

involved pages and they were able to identify new donors that they could solicit for a donation and contribution

43:10

they also because they layered the Omni channel on top of the mail converted

43:16

5400 Labs donors so people they were mailing to and they weren't getting a

43:21

donation when they layered the Omni channel on they converted those $5,400

43:27

lapse donors into donors increasing monthly donors by 78% so Omni channel is so so powerful

43:35

you know these are tools that we can be utilizing to increase response rates we

43:42

can increase Revenue if I'm a mail service provider or increase revenue for

43:47

our customers and also take advantage of some postal discounts and

43:52

savings so if you have any questions about Omni Channel um you know anybody

43:58

watching today I'm happy to have a conversation you know just in general or you want to talk a little bit about

44:03

strategy there's a QR code you can scan it you can email me here there's my phone number and contact

44:11

information W Morgan that was that was amazing thank you so much for that awesome presentation illustrating the

44:17

power of combining print and digital marketing Technologies I love the quote be the Geico of your demographic that is

44:23

amazing it's my pleasure thank you so much for having me K so awesome and you know we're talking

44:29

about direct mail here but to expand on the idea of that 8 to 12 touches your packaging is Another Touch point so if

44:35

you're using digital print to deploy inbox marketing or cross- selling of your other products you know that's

44:41

another touch point that you can reinforce on the in part of your Omni channel strategy

44:47

100% I did want to ask you just a couple questions that came up during the presentation um what do you say to

44:54

Brands who say that they don't want to be annoying or don't want to you know overwhelm their prospects with all those touches well you know that's sometimes

45:01

that comes up not very often you know but the first thing that I have to say is that if somebody's annoyed by your advertising they're not your customer

45:08

okay they're just not right and and you're going to experience that with any channel you know inir mail you get the

45:15

people that call they're angry take me off of your mailing list those aren't your customers okay and and sales and

45:21

marketing it's a numbers game so if for every one customer you annoy you you

45:27

gather and capture the attention of 100 more then you're winning not to mention the fact that you have to remain

45:32

competitive and let's say for example that you're running a direct mail campaign and I I hate to say this but

45:39

your marketing dollars are driving traffic not only to your website but to your competitor websites so if your

45:45

competitors are employing a strategy like this and a direct mail recipient goes to your website and they leave and

45:52

go to your competitors and they have a follow-up Omni channel strategy and you don't guess who they're seeing they're

45:58

seeing your competitor they're never seeing you and so you're just limiting

46:03

yourself and um what is a good do you have a rule of thumb around the general

46:09

Target list size that is at least a starting size that people can really leverage the direct mail 2.0 technology

46:16

effectively or do you help them build that list how does that work yeah I mean that's a good question I I think that it

46:22

really depends upon what they're trying to accomplish there's a lot of different ways that we can employ a Omni Channel

46:29

marketing strategy no list really is too small but you know you're going to get

46:34

out of it what what what you start with right so we have to think that we're driving people to a website so if I send

46:42

out a 500 piece mailer and I typically get a 1% response rate I mean how many

46:47

people am I really following around right but there are other technologies that we can utilize that are not

46:53

dependent upon the amount of web traffic like the addressable G we can just get ads in front of every

46:59

single person on the mailing list so there's no real limit to the mailing list you can do very small and targeted

47:06

list but some of the Technologies don't work as well for that um so I I think it's always just a strategic approach

47:12

and depending upon what they're trying to accomplish thank you so much again Morgan for that presentation that was

47:19

amazing and thank you to our viewers for joining us um Morgan already put her contact information up there but if you

47:25

do have any questions please reach out to Morgan directly you can feel free to visit the boxmaker boxmaker

47:35

docomond demand webinars which is available at boxmaker docomo and for more inspiring stories

47:42

and content be sure to follow us on LinkedIn and Instagram or you can join our mailing list at boxmaker tocom jooin

47:49

thank you all very much

+ Read More

Watch More

The Next Frontier of Digital Mail: Technologies That Connect Printers to Revenue & Customers to Results
Posted Dec 11, 2023 | Views 206
# Omnichannel Marketing
# Commercial Print
# Digital Marketing
# Printing
# Marketing
How Printers Boost Automation and Growth with HP PrintOS
Posted May 14, 2024 | Views 607
# Automation
# Data/IT
# HP
# Innovation